Friday, February 19, 2010

70. Spend a day at the Cold Spring Tavern in Santa Barbara

On President's day we took a mini trip to Santa Barbara. Our first stop was the Cold Spring Tavern, which was located 20 minutes away from the city. It's a rustic restaurant serving American food and has been deemed the Best place for a romantic getaway in California (a perfect stop considering we went the day after Valentines day). But perhaps I missed the 'romantic getaway' part because we went during lunch rather then dinner, to which the tavern calls dinner time "pure MAGIC!" (all caps with the exclamation point!) with its fireplaces stirring "the romantic soul." Yeah, nope didn't feel it the day I went. Must be the deer heads hanging on the walls that spoiled the moment.

While waiting for a table, we decided to walk around the tavern, which was smaller then I thought. Got to peek in the old-fashioned rooms and even smelled what I imagined a 1860's room would be like...a mixture of wet newspapers and aging wood.

Although it was daytime, the restuarant was quite dim with ancient pictures and massive animal heads plastered on the walls. I refused to look above me since I was eating a charbroiled burger and did not want the sight of a Moose head tainting my appetite. Though the tavern was a bit off the beaten path, it was worth the visit.

The following day we drove to LA to watch the Lakers game. Fun times!

No comments: